Thursday, November 29, 2012

1 Peter 1

Listen to the podcast below (or right click this link for the mp3 file) 



Podcast Powered By Podbean

As usual, when I get to a new book, I check the wikipedia page for any interesting information about it, particularly I look at the dating and authorship. It is a letter from Peter to a number of churches, so the supposed authorship is Peter, although some people argue that someone else wrote it and put his name on it, likely some of his followers after he died. Some suggest it was written in AD 81 during the reign of Domitian, which is after the death of Peter. Others suggest that the book relies on the Pauline apostles which again, is too late for Peter. Others of course argue in favor of Peter being the author.

Greeting (v. 1-2)

Peter says who he is and that he is talking to "the exiles in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia.

Born Again to a Living Hope (v. 3-12)

God provided us with Jesus so we could be saved, have faith in this. The prophets were not working for themselves but for you.

That seems to be the basic message here, although the actual text is quite wordy. Obviously I'm not a fan of the faith message here.

Called to be Holy (v. 13-25)

Through belief in God you can be holy as long as you are obedient and conduct yourself as God wants you to through fear.

Reading that, you might suspect I had trouble summarizing this section. It seemed to me to use a lot of words to say very little, but that seemed to be the basic idea. Obviously I am not a fan of focusing on obedience or fear. There was also one more verse that caught my eye.

v17 "if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds,..."

This isn't necessarily a contradiction, as I suppose you could be judged poorly by God and still be let into heaven, but I thought that only faith mattered, and deeds were unimportant.

For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation)

Bad:

1:8 believe in Jesus despite a lack of evidence

"Though you have not seen [Jesus], you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him..."

1:14,22 Obedience is of supreme importance

"As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance"

"Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth..."

1:17 You should be ruled by fear

"conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...