Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Colossians 4

Listen to the podcast below (or right click this link for the mp3 file) 


Podcast Powered By Podbean

Further Instructions (v. 2-6)

Continue praying, both in general, and for me specifically to have a path for spreading the word even though I am in prison.

While I was reading this, it reminded me that in Philippians, Paul also mentioned that he was in prison. A lot of the books of the new testament were letters from Paul to various people. Was he in prison while he was writing all of those letters? Was this him in jail trying to maintain his sanity by writing to all of the people he visited prior to his imprisonment? I'm not sure how much this would matter in all honesty, not really good or bad, but I do find it interesting. (note from later: a quick google search shows that Colossians, Philemon, Ephesians, and Philippians were written by Paul from prison. I wonder if those are the only ones we can verify or if we have evidence that the others were written outside of prison)

Be gracious with outsiders and speak politely to make the best use of your time.

I'm not exactly sure what 'seasoned with salt' means, but I took it as being polite and tactful. I think this is a great thing. What is debate and discussion for? It's to exchange ideas and change minds. The more you are polite and courteous, the better chance that your debate opponent will listen to what you have to say and potentially see if you make a valid point. If on the other hand you are yelling at each other and calling each other morons, then there is pretty much no chance they will see things from your perspective.

Final Greetings (v. 7-18)

Paul says he is sending a bunch of his people to help them out. This is a lot of verses, but it almost just seems like a roll call. Nothing interesting here.


For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation) 

Good:

4:6 Be polite with people you disagree with

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the salt analogy has to do with using salt as a preservative. I know it was also quite expensive even through the middle ages.

    I too like the verse about being polite. Emotions shouldn't be dragged into arguments. People should present their case, be open to criticism and be willing to be contradicted without things getting heated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is interesting, I wasn't thinking of it being a preservative. Rereading the verse it actually makes sense too. Perhaps it is trying to say that you should speak in such a way that your words will be listened to and remembered, hence preserved in their memory.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...