Friday, February 17, 2012

Mark 2

Jesus Heals a Paralytic


Jesus returned to Capernaum and people found out where he was so they came to see him. There was a great crowd that was impossible to get through. A few guys wanted to get a paralytic to Jesus for healing. They went to the roof, and lowered him down to Jesus. Jesus saw his faith and said his sins are forgiven. People said Jesus was blaspheming because only God can forgive sins. Jesus said he has the authority to forgive sins, he tells the paralytic to pick up his bed and walk and he does. Everyone is amazed.

I remember this story from those cartoons as well, it's so funny what sticks. Also, I have complained in the past about everyone watching Jesus being amazed when there is nothing to be amazed at, this time it seems warranted.


I do have a complaint here though, Jesus heals the paralytic by forgiving the man's sins. You don't get paralyzed by sinning, sometimes things just happen and it is out of your control. This implies that any affliction is your fault.


Jesus Calls Levi


Jesus gains another follower, Levi.

Jesus is hanging out with some tax collectors and sinners. The scribes are like, 'dude WTF'. Jesus says he is not here to save the righteous but the sinners.

A Question About Fasting


People asked Jesus why he wasn't fasting while John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Jesus says it is like wedding guests who don't fast while the bridegroom is there. They can fast later.

I don't really get this, but I also don't understand why you would fast in the first place, so I guess it makes sense that I am confused.


Jesus Is Lord of the Sabbath


Jesus and his disciples were going through a grain field and plucking heads of grain and eating them, which was apparently against the law on the Sabbath. The scribes said it was no ok and Jesus compared them to king David and told the scribe to back off.

I was curious what my thoughts were last time these stories came up.


http://hausdorffbb.blogspot.com/2012/01/matthew-9.html

Pretty much the same, not my fault it is repetitive. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't have many comments, content wise. But I do agree with you about ailments being the symptom of sinning. This was pre germ theory. It's kind of cruel I think. I would never imagine someone walking into a childrens' cancer ward and telling them all that they are there because of their sinning. Today, I only hear about “God's plan” when trying to justify horrible things that go on in this world. Personally, I find this to be almost equally as cruel. “Sorry your daughter got raped and murdered.” “It's a part of God's divine plan.”

    Fasting. I've heard that when you fast, your brain chemistry leaves you more prone to "spiritual experiences" and that's why so many of the world's religions have fasting. I could see that as one can get light headed after not eating for a while.

    The only two notes I have in this chapter are in verses 25 and 26. He says “have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry?” Then he goes on to say that the priest was names Abiathar. If you look in the orignal text 1 Samuel 21:1, you notice that he was actually alone in the original story and the priest had a different name. “Then David came to Nob to Ahimelech the priest. And Ahimelech came to meet David trembling and said to him, "Why are you alone, and no one with you?" “

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...