Thursday, April 19, 2012

John 5

The Healing at the Pool on the Sabbath


Jesus went to a place where there were a lot of invalids such as blind, lame, and paralyzed people. There was one guy who had been an invalid for 38 years and Jesus told him to get up, take his bed and walk, the guy was healed an immediately he was healed and he did so. People saw him carrying his bed and said he shouldn't do that because it is the Sabbath, he said the man who healed him told him to do it. They were mad at Jesus.

I know you aren't supposed to work on the Sabbath, but carrying your bed counts?


Jesus Is Equal with God


The Jews were upset with Jesus because he said God was his father making him equal with God, so they wanted to kill him.

Seems like a bit of an overreaction to me. 


The Authority of the Son


The son will do as the father can do. The father passes his power to the son. Soon the dead will hear the voice of the son of God and will live. "an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out."

What?


Witnesses to Jesus


You don't need to trust me what I say about myself, you can trust what John the baptist said about me.

6 comments:

  1. The Healing at the Pool on the Sabbath ”I know you aren't supposed to work on the Sabbath, but carrying your bed counts?” They took those laws pretty seriously. What's really sad is that people got stoned to death for doing trivial things like this. How is that moral?



    The Authority of the Son I guess God passes the judging down to Jesus? I thought I remember elsewhere where Jesus said that he does not come to judge? Maybe I missed something.

    Witnesses to Jesus. Verse 31, “If I alone testify, about myself, my testimony is not true”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to add that in verse 46, He says, "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me." Can someone point this out? I don't think Moses, to my memory ever said anything about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, breaking the Sabbath seems like a crazy thing to stone people over. I was actually thinking about this over the weekend a bit, I was walking my dog listening to podcasts through my phone, and I realized if I had to keep the Sabbath I would not be allowed to be listening. I had always heard that the reason is so you don't have to work every day. It is a way to force people to not work themselves to the bone. You know, if my religion says I can't work on saturday it is harder for you to make me even if I am your slave kind of thing.

    Is that even correct? I can't remember the source of that. I know you are supposed to "keep the sabbath holy", does that mean you aren't supposed to work because you are supposed to be thinking about god all day? If that is the case why not just focus on that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you read the link from your Witness to Jesus" link in context it doesn't look so bad. I think in some verses he is talking about what should be valid and in others he seems to be talking about what is legally valid.

    As to the Moses thing, did Moses ever say anything super vague about someone in the future? Maybe that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment on the Sabbath reminds me of this part of Religious. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny the lengths that people go to, to get around the rule. It seems crazy, either do it or don't. Either God wants you to be able to use a phone or he doesn't, I can't imagine that God is ok with you using a phone on the Sabbath so long as it wastes electricity all day long.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...