Wednesday, December 5, 2012

1 Peter 5

Listen to the podcast below (or right click this link for the mp3 file) 



Podcast Powered By Podbean

Shepherd the Flock of God (v. 1-11)

The elders are encouraged to lead the flock of God willingly, not through compulsion. Don't do it for gain, but to help people. Don't be a domineering leader, but instead lead by example. If you are younger, you should humbly follow the elders. If you are suffering, know that it won't last forever and there are other people all over the world dealing with similar problems.

If I wanted to really get nit-picky, I'm sure I could find some stuff to complain about here. But I think a fair reading of this section is pretty much all positive. Only lead if you really want to, not for personal gain, lead by example. Younger people listen to the elders. If you are suffering know you aren't alone. Really seems like a bunch of good stuff to me.

Final Greetings (v. 12-14)

Just a goodbye, nothing much here

For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation)

Good:

5:2-3 Leaders should lead by example, and shouldn't be in it for personal gain.

"shepherd the flock of God...not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock."

5:9 If you are suffering, you are not alone

"...knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world."

3 comments:

  1. Leading by example is one of those things that often proves to be more difficult than it sounds. When I apply this to atheism, I often frame it as attempting to model skepticism, critical thinking, and rational discourse. Not quite the same as leading, but I think it can work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the message is good...but is that what we see in practice? I would argue that we do not, look at the wealth of many religious institutions from the Vatican to Mega Churches...Rick Warren and his ilk are loaded...seems the message got lost in translation...or so they will say if you point this out to them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vjack, I totally agree with you there. Sometimes all we can do is lay out a rational argument and hope some part of it sticks. Even if it isn't accepted, maybe part of that way of thinking will sink in.

    RB, I really don't understand how rich religious people are taken seriously by their flock. Every time it is mentioned in the bible, wealth is looked at as a bad thing. You would think this would make believers view wealthy religious leaders with a skeptical eye, but that doesn't seem to play out in reality.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...