Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Luke 14

Healing of a Man on the Sabbath


Jesus healed a man on the sabbath and the Pharisees and lawyers were upset about it. Jesus asked if they had a son or an ox fall into a well on the sabbath wouldn't they get it out immediately. They had no answer.

Good story, but it just happened last chapter.


The Parable of the Wedding Feast


When you go to a wedding feast, don't immediately sit in the most prominent seat, because if there is someone more distinguished than you who shows up later, you will get sent to the lowest place to sit. But if you start by sitting at the lowest place, when the host comes to see everyone he will send you to the highest place.

This is good, basically be humble and people will notice. Don't talk about how awesome you are and always jump to the best spot. It is better to let people see your qualities and point them out, and if you are good other people will see and put you in your rightful distinguished place. I generally agree with this sentiment although something about it bothers me just a touch. To say to be humble is a good thing, and if you are not constantly singing your own praises your friends and honest coworkers will (this has been my experience anyway). This verse seems to be advocating being humble as a strategy to actually get to the place of prominence, which bothers me a touch. If you are going to take the lowest place with the intention of getting put into the highest place, will you be upset if that doesn't happen? If that is the case this seems bad. On the other hand, if you are going to put yourself there knowing you will probably stay there, and then you might be surprised on occasion when others are like "what are you doing there, come to this better spot" and be happy with the rare accolade, that seems like the right way to do it. It is a parable and I know these subtleties are hard to put in them, it is possible that this was the point all along, but the way it is written I think it can be easily interpreted as the first way I said.


The Parable of the Great Banquet


Jesus says when you have a dinner or banquet don't invite friends and family, because they will return the favor. Instead invite poor people who cannot pay you back. If you do this you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.

I get the point he is putting out, but why explicitly say to not invite friends and family. How about don't only invite friends and family or something. The reason I throw a party is to be with my friends and family. I do like this idea of caring about poor people down on their luck, but the way this is put is strange to me.


Then Jesus tells the story of a guy who threw a great banquet and invited many. Then a bunch of people backed out of coming to his party, his servants said there was still room or more so he told them to go get anyone off the streets to join. There was still room so he sent his servants out to the road to get more people "for I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet"

Again, this just seems to be stated in a confusing way to me. He is forbidding the people who already bailed on him from coming to his banquet? I think the point here is to share with anyone when you have the means, which I think is a good thing. The way it is put is so strange though.


The Cost of Discipleship


To be a disciple of Jesus you must hate your family and yourself.

what?


Salt Without Taste Is Worthless


If salt loses its taste you should throw it away

What does that mean?

5 comments:

  1. Wedding feast. I am going to have to side with you here. I think its good to be humble. However, to be humble just so you'll be praised, sort of defeats the purpose.

    You bring up a great comment about the wedding feast and inviting strangers. It would be great to invite people other than your family as well, but a wedding is usually a time to invite your family. I wonder if back then, since most towns were small, it would have been a bit different. Maybe poor people could get something to eat. I'm really just grasping at straws here..

    I think the parts in this chapter about hating your parents and having to abandon your family are just horrible to say the least. Society frowns upon people that just abandon their families. I have a note in my bible that talks about hate verse. It reads “by comparison of his love for me” Matthew 10:37. I think this distinction is absent here and should have been written into it. Especially with two different authors. It seems like an important detail if that is the case.

    Salt. I'm just speculating here, but does salt ever lose its taste? I have never had to throw out bad or old salt. Wasn't it used to preserve food in the past because of this property (in addition to the pulling out of moisture).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting the comparison with Matthew 10:37. I bet that is the sentiment that is trying to be expressed here but it is said in such a horrible way. To say you love Jesus more than your mother and father is fine. It could mean that you love your parents a lot, and the statement just goes to show HOW much you love Jesus. I'm totally on board with that message. What is written here is that you should hate your parents, while I could see someone try to spin it to be the same as the Matthew verse, this one to me is very different and much much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that bit about hating your family is probably better understood as having an undeniably stronger preference for God than any one of your family members. If the choice came down to spreading the Gospel or nursing your sick mother, well, your mother's going to have to get better on her own, because you'll be out evangelizing. But you don't actually have to hate your mom.

    And the salt? I think that was Jesus essentially saying that if you don't do what you are supposed to do, you're worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma has a family/group lesson based on Luke 14. You’ll find it at:
    http://mygrandmatime.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/4-be-a-bold-but-humble-follower-of-Jesus.pdf

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...