Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mark 14

The Plot to Kill Jesus


The chief priests and scribes were seeking how to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him, they decided not to do it during the passover feast as it would upset the people.

I don't know why I thought of this now, the scribes have shown up in a bunch of verses, but I was just wondering who these guys are. Seems like they are basically early  bureaucrats. Interesting write up here

http://bible.org/seriespage/scribes


Jesus Anointed at Bethany


They were hanging out with Simon the leper and a woman brought a very expensive flask of oil and poured it on Jesus. There were some who said it was wasteful, they should have sold it and given the money to the poor. Jesus said to calm down. She is doing a great thing for me. You will always have the poor but you will not always have me.

Again, I can't help but think the disciples have a point here. It seems like a waste. I don't understand the message here. Also, it says "you will not always have me", but aren't we supposed to have Jesus with us at all times or something? I feel like I am making a stupid point here, but you always hear Christians say Jesus is with us and Jesus is still alive and stuff right?


Judas to Betray Jesus


Judas talked to the chief priest in order to betray Jesus.

The Passover with the Disciples


Jesus is eating passover dinner with his disciples and he announces that one of them will betray him. They are sad at the news and they start asking Jesus who it will be. He says it will be one who is dipping bread into the dish with me. He says it would have been better if that man had never been born.

Seems awful harsh, although I guess if someone betrayed me and I would up being put to death I'd with they weren't born too.


Institution of the Lord's Supper


When they are eating Jesus passes around some bread and says "this is my body" and he does the same with wine and says "this is my blood"

that part I was familiar with


Then Jesus says "Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God"

Again, here is that "kingdom of God" think that I have been confused about (which FYI, seems to mean the same thing as kingdom of heaven according to wikipedia). Does the kingdom of God start after Jesus has sacrificed himself? Does it refer to the fact that Jesus has fulfilled the sacrificial laws of the old testament or something?...interesting


Jesus Foretells Peter's Denial


Jesus says all of the disciples will fall away from Jesus, Peter says that even if everyone else does, he will not fall away even if he dies for it. Jesus says Peter will deny him 3 times before the rooster crows twice.

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane


Jesus was troubled and took a few disciples with him to Gethsemane. He told them to stand watch for him. When he came to check on them a few times they had fallen asleep and he said "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"

I hear this line in movies and stuff from time to time. I'm not really sure what to make of it. Maybe even the disciples can't follow through sometimes so it is ok if you can't as long as you are trying? I dunno.


Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus


Judas comes up to Jesus and the other disciples with a crowd from the chief priests and scribes. He says he will kiss Jesus so they know which one he is. He does that and they seize him. One of the disciples cuts off the ear of the servant. Then Jesus asks why they come after him at night rather than while he is teaching.

I don't understand why they need Judas to point Jesus out. Jesus even said at the end that they should know who he is. Is it that dark here?


A Young Man Flees


Some guy was following him wearing only a linen cloth and wound up running away naked

This seems random and unnecessary


Jesus Before the Council


The council was looking for testimony against him, and many people lied, but their lies did not agree. So the high priest asked Jesus directly if he is the Christ, and Jesus said yes. They said it was blasphemy and that he deserved death.

pretty intense scene.

Peter Denies Jesus


Peter had followed them and he was warming himself by the guards. Someone recognized him and said he was with Jesus before and Peter said no. He was asked a few times and he kept saying no, then the rooster crowed twice and he remembered what Jesus had said.

I'm guessing that this is interpreted by modern Christians as "you should share your faith with people". Or at least that you shouldn't lie and say you aren't a Christian. I generally agree, but there are times when it is better to keep quiet , if you live in a society where you can get killed for your religious belief for example. 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry meant to copy paste this in chapter 13 >_< Feel free to delete. Google Chrome isn't working right, but internet explorer seems to run it fine. Interesting...

    Here is what I meant to put here:

    I always saw the scribes as those guys in charge that knew the scriptures and were revered by the people around them. To me, it was like they were pissed that people were starting to follow this other Jesus guy, and that this was almost like them giving up their powers. Almost like, but not quite in the same sense, a corrupt group of bureaucrats who are not happy about a new rising political star.

    I agree with you about the ointment thing. I think its this kind of mentality that builds mega-churches and extremely wealthy pastors. People feel like they have to give up their money to the church, even if its not really “going to God.” Especially the really poor who give more than they reasonably can.

    Judas. This is totally unfair for Jesus to say. If Judas wasn't born and didn't betray Christ, he wouldn't have been able to come down and fix the loophole that God/”Jesus” created in the first place with original sin. In the Gospel of Judas, Jesus asked him to betray Jesus.

    Jesus seems here to pray to god to save him from crucifixion.. (to me anyway) In the account of John 12:27 he doesn't ask for God to save him. Also, here where Judas ID's him by a kiss it's a bit different from John 18:3-5 where he ID's himself.

    Young man flees. I agree, but streaking is hilarious! :)

    Before the council/False testimony. Verse 58: “"We heard him say, 'I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.'" ” But you might be interested to check out John's account (http://www.biblestudytools.com/john/2-19-compare.html ) Does this mean they were telling false testimony? Or does this mean the writer of Mark is? And if the later is the case, and the other gospels were based on this one, then what else is wrong?

    He also tells them explicitly that they will see him coming with the clouds of heaven. I'm pretty sure all the characters in this story are no longer living. Does this mean that Jesus meant when they were dead that they'd see him?

    The cock crows.. The four gospels are pretty inconstant about how this happened. Here it crows after his first denial. Here are the other references. Sorry the John one is broken up, but they are part of the same story without all the “filler.”

    http://www.biblestudytools.com/esv/passage.aspx?q=matthew+26:69-74;john+18:17;john+18:25-27;luke+22:56-60

    I agree with your analysis about the message that is supposed to be taken away. Don't deny your faith. But, like you, I think that dying for a belief in this case isn't really a good thing. I would keep my beliefs in the Middle East quiet. What is dying for them going to do? It's probably not going to convert anyone. I don't think that people that are willing to kill you for your beliefs are going to change their mind by your death. Who is going to think “wow, he/she must have REALLY believed that. They wouldn't believe someone so strongly if it weren't true.” I think about the countless “martyrs” for Islam.. They sure didn't have an impact on Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At some point I want to check out that Gospel of Judas. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...