Wednesday, August 8, 2012

1 Corinthians 10

Warning Against Idolatry


Our fathers all "drank the same spiritual drink" and yet God was not happy with most of them. We must not indulge in sexual immorality, put Christ to the test, or complain as many of them did and were destroyed. If you are tempted do not think it is unique to you, temptations are all common. But don't worry, God won't temp you beyond your ability to escape.

That makes no sense. If he won't temp you beyond your ability to handle it then why are people tempted and then destroyed when they fail? I suppose the answer would be that they 'could have' avoided the temptation but didn't, but isn't that what we mean when we say it is beyond their ability to handle it?


He then says that idolatry is bad and we shouldn't associate with the pagans during their rituals.

This just seems like he is trying to separate people from the other religion. Force people to make a choice, us or them. I don't like this at all.


Do All to the Glory of God


All food is ok to eat, you can eat whatever is sold at the market. If you go to dinner with an unbeliever you can eat whatever is served to you with a clean conscience. But if they say it is a sacrifice then you shouldn't eat it.

I'm not completely sure what he is getting at here. My best guess is he is trying to say not to worry about things like the kosher laws. If someone serves you pork don't worry about it. However if someone serves you food that is from a sacrifice don't eat it, I guess because it is involved in idolatry or something.


This is a tough one for me to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I think the whole idea of God not tempting people beyond their ability is absurd. If it wasn't beyond their ability to resist, why would they fail. I had a friend who I went to high school with that took his depression and problems out on himself, rather than talking to anyone. If I was a Christian and read this, thinking about his suicide would have made me pretty angry. Doesn't he already know that you are going to fail?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...