Tuesday, August 21, 2012

2 Corinthians 9

The Collection for Christians in Jerusalem

I have told the people of Macedonia how awesome you guys are, it would be embarrassing to me and to you if you didn't come through on your promise of a gift. So I am sending some of my guys ahead to collect so when I get there with the Macedonians it is a willing gift rather than an exaction.

This section I just find strange, and it feels to me like we don't quite have enough information to make a proper judgement. Paul says that the Corinthians made a promise of a gift, and therefore he is simply making sure they come through. On the surface this seems like a fine thing. If you promise something you should follow through. On the other hand, what is the deal with it becoming an exaction if they don't give it as a gift? That makes the whole thing seem shady.

I suppose a Christian might accuse me of just looking for things to complain about (perhaps this is true) and say that Paul is just trying to make things right.

The Cheerful Giver

The more you sow the more you reap. You should be generous in every way.

This is good stuff. Encouraging generosity is great. Many Christians focus on this kind of thing from the bible and our world is a better place for it.

For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation) 

Good:

9:11 Be generous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...