Thursday, August 2, 2012

1 Corinthians 6

Lawsuits Against Believers


You should not bring disputes between believers to the secular court. Matters between believers should be handled within the church.

This is an interesting idea, I like discouraging using the court system, but to forbid it is a whole other matter. What if another believer is trying to screw you over? Are you just supposed to take it? I guess the verse says you are supposed to take it to the church elders. I also don't know how the courts of the day compare to the courts of this time, perhaps it is not even a fair comparison to make.


Flee Sexual Immorality


If you perform sexually immoral acts you are committing a sin against the body of Christ because your body and his become one.

One of the problems I have with religion is that it makes people have issues with sex. Sex shouldn't be this big horrible taboo, it should be something we can have a conversation about and feel ok doing. The fact that this is so vague is bad, "I'm having a sexual desire, is it bad? Am I bad?" I don't like that kind of self questioning being encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. This chapter is pretty weird. I agree with you on the court thing. I think it's always better to settle disputes between people rather than take things to court, if possible. However, there is a time and a place for the legal court system. It's easier to get a fair trial. I had jury duty yesterday actually and while it's not a flawless system, it's was actually kind of comforting to know that if the government or someone else accuses me of something, I will get judged by a group of people rather than just one guy. A judge, without a jury, on a bad day or if he didn't like you could give you a really harsh sentence.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...