Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1 Corinthians Overview


As I have explained in the past, one of the reasons I am doing this blog is I am curious to see what kind of messages one might get from reading the bible. What might one learn as a take-away. Here is my quick summary of the good and bad from 1 Corinthians.

The Good

4:3 Don't be quick to judge

9:12 It is better to save a soul than make some money (see chapter 16:2 below)

12:25-26 Help each other out

13:1-3 Love is very important

The Bad

2:15 We can judge you, you can't judge us

6:18 sex is bad

11:3 Women should be subordinate to their husbands

14:34-35 woman should be submissive, it is shameful for them to speak in church

16:2 Undoes my good item from chapter 9

5 comments:

  1. You listen to the Adam Carolla Show, right? I think we've talked about it in the past, but I might be confused. He's been talking about how obvious it is that all the world's religions were invented by men. The submissive and subordinate parts reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I listen to the ace man :)

      Although I am fairly far behind at the moment. I've got about 100 hours of various podcasts built up, I'm about a month behind on adam's show. When did he start talking about that?

      Delete
  2. Last couple weeks he's been touching on it a lot. He sticks mostly to cult examples, but also religion as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing it. I think the fact that he doesn't really give a shit about religion and he is saying stuff like that makes it hold more weight in a strange way. Many people see Dawkins as a crusader for atheism, and might just shrug it off when he says stuff like this. When Adam just offhandedly says that religion is obviously bullshit it might stick in their brains a bit more.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, especially since he's not exactly a feminist either.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...