Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Universe From Nothing

Today instead of writing a post I decided to finally get around to watching the lecture by lawrence Krauss "A universe from nothing". I know I'm a bit late to the party here, most people reading this have probably watched it already, but if you haven't it's enjoyable and I definitely recommend checking it out.

As I was watching I made some notes of spots I thought were interesting, or things I might want to reference again later. Enjoy

8:45 describes how Hubble determined the universe is expanding, nice graphics

11:10 pope declares science proved genesis, Lemaitre tells him to stop that

17:00 Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today

18:00 the universe is huge and old and rare things happen all the time

27:00 Gravitational lensing (also dark matter)

33:30 measure the curvature of the universe using geometry directly

40:40 why is there something rather than nothing?

42:20 70% of the energy in the universe resides in empty space

44:40 Discusses the fine tuning argument

55:30 Einstein was involved in experiments

57:30 Can we create a universe in the lab?

59:40 How do you deal with infinity? Answers with hilbert hotel...awesome

3 comments:

  1. This lecture is probably one of the best hours you can spend on doing something. I've actually watched it more than once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent summary.

    (Your profiler won't let my URL through -- RevDrDigby.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting Rev :)

      Sorry it wouldn't let your URL post, strange

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...