Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thessalonians Overview

Listen to the podcast below (or right click this link for the mp3 file)


Podcast Powered By Podbean

As I have explained in the past, one of the reasons I am doing this blog is I am curious to see what kind of messages one might get from reading the bible. What might one learn as a take-away. Here is my quick summary of the good and bad from 1 & 2 Thessalonians.

(note: the chapter link takes you to my page on that chapter, the verse link takes you to the verse on biblestudytools.com)

Good:


I 2:9 Don't be a burden on others

"For you remember, brothers, our labor and toil: we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God."


I 5:14 encourage, help, be patient

"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle,encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all."

I 5:15 no eye for an eye (see II 1:6 below)

"See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone."

I 5:22 avoid evil

"Abstain from every form of evil."


II 3:10 Don't help those unwilling to work (presumably so you can instead help those who can't work)

"...If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."


Bad:


I 2:16 Rejoice in the suffering of your enemies

"...But God's wrath has come upon them at last!"


I 4:4-5 Sex is bad, gentiles are bad

"that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God"

I 4:15-16 Christianity started as a doomsday cult

"For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.


II 1:6 eye for an eye

"since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you"

II 1:8 ignorance from God = vengeance from God

"in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus."

II 1:10 God is vain

"when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed"


II 2:9-10 being tricked = refusing the truth

"The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved."

II 2:11-12 God tricked people in order to condemn them

"Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness."



2 comments:

  1. Listening to your podcast, I think you are being completely fair, but I still kinda wish there was a believer to defend these passages--just because I don't know how you defend God sending delusions. There is no positive spin for this.

    Reminds me of Loki the trickster God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about wishing there was a believer defending the positions. I've actually been thinking about this for a few days. I would like to find a good bible commentary from the Christian side which I can look at after I do my reading and see if they address any of my concerns. I tried to google it but was unsatisfied with what I found. Maybe I'll put a call out on twitter to see if anyone knows a good site

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...