Friday, June 1, 2012

Acts 14

Paul and Barnabas at Iconium


Paul and Barnabas went to Iconium to preach the word of Jesus. The town was divided, some believed while others didn't. The people who didn't believe got together with the town rules and decided to stone the disciples. They heard of this so they fled.

More stories of the disciples spreading the word. I suppose this would be interesting to someone who wanted to know how the early church was spread, but I don't find it particularly interesting myself. *shrug*


Paul and Barnabas at Lystra


Paul and Barnabas got to Lystra and there was a man crippled from birth who had never walked. They talked to him about Jesus and he had faith, so they told him to get up and walk and he was healed. Everyone in the town was happy so they called Paul and Barnabas Zeus and Hermes and wanted to sacrifice oxen and garlands. Paul and Barnabas were barely able to stop them.

They heal a guy and the town integrates the event into their own mythology. Not surprising.


Paul Stoned at Lystra


Jews from Antioch and Iconium joined those in Lystra and stoned Paul and drug him out of the city thinking he was dead. But the disciples gathered around him and he rose up.

So was he dead and was revived or were the Jews just mistaken about that?


They went on to Derbe and made many disciples there. Then they returned to Lystra and Iconium and Antioch and strengthened the resolve of the disciples there.

Paul and Barnabas Return to Antioch in Syria


Paul and Barnabas returned they told everyone what God had done through them and opened the doors for the gentiles to join them. They did not stay long with the other disciples.

Oh, this is the first time they opened up the teaching to non-jews? I didn't realize that.




------------------

Note: I am out of town for about a week. There will not be a disruption is posts as I have front-loaded enough content to fill the void while I am gone, however, I will most likely not be responding to any comments until I get back. If any comments do come from me this week please excuse typos as it means I am posting from my phone.

2 comments:

  1. "Oh, this is the first time they opened up the teaching to non-jews? I didn't realize that."

    The bible is ambiguous as to who the gospel should be preached too. Some verses say it should be preached to everyone, others say not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. It's great when something so simple is so obviously a contradiction. When I look at "tell everyone" right next to "only tell these people" I just wonder how someone can reconcile the two things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...