Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Romans 2

God's Righteous Judgment


You can't judge others because you are also guilty.

I guess if you equate all crimes and things like envy are crimes deserving death, then it is true that we are all guilty.


Those who seek glory, honor, and immortality will get eternal life. But those who are self-seeking and who are unrighteous will get wrath and fury.

Isn't seeking immortality also "self-seeking"? This doesn't make much sense to me.


God's Judgement and the Law


If you don't follow the law you have never heard of you will just perish. If you have sinned under the law you will be judged by it. If you have never heard the law and follow it anyway you are a law to yourself. (I'm not sure what that means) The law is written on your heart.

Sounds like you can be judged good even if you don't know about Jesus. How does that sync with the idea that if you don't know about Jesus you'll go to hell?


Don't teach the law and then also break the law.

Sounds good


There is a lot of talk about circumcision.

Why is God so interested in this?

2 comments:

  1. Your comment on the first verse about judging.. The wording is a bit confusing, but I like to read it as basically, "don't judge others, because we've all screwed up before." Not sure if that is the meaning or not though. Not to keep being "that guy" but the bible says a lot of mixed stuff about judging.

    "Isn't seeking immortality also "self-seeking"?

    I actually had never thought about it in those terms, but I think you are right.

    "If you don't follow the law you have never heard of you will just perish."

    This reminds me of the old adage, "ignorance of the law is an excuse for no one." But I think the difference between the situations is that you or I could look up the municipal code for where ever we live. I once looked up the laws on sound ordinances in my hometown because my neighbors were so loud that my walls were shaking. It was during the day, so I looked up the information before filing a complaint. But, if I had lived in some part of the world with no access to the Bible, or didn't know anybody who knew how to read, it sounds like I'd be screwed.

    In verse 25 he says, "For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice the Law; but if you are a transgressor of teh Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision." This is a metaphor right? It almost sounds like your foreskin grows back, but maybe someone can clear this up. Does this mean like "well, it's all for nothing if you don't obey all the commandments."?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purpose of circumcision is to have a bond with God or something, right? I think this is basically just saying if you are circumcised but break God's law the circumcision doesn't really count. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...