Monday, June 11, 2012

Acts 20

Paul in Macedonia and Greece


Paul traveled around some and while he was in Greece there was a plot against him by the Jews, but he got away.

Eutychus Raised from the Dead


Paul was talking and he extended his speech until past midnight. A young man named Eutychus was watching from a 3rd floor window and fell asleep and out the window. He died, but Paul revived him.

It seems like all of Acts could be summarized as "the disciples spread the word of God and do the same miracles as Jesus did"


Paul Speaks to the Ephesian Elders


Paul basically tells them that he is leaving them to go preach to Jerusalem. He says that imprisonment and afflictions await him wherever he goes but he will do it anyway. "But I do not account my life of any value nor as previous to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I receive from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."

So basically, your life is worthless except for the part where you are spreading the word of god. Pascals wager comes to mind, which says that there is no cost in believing. 

4 comments:

  1. If Acts is that repetitive, you can skip ahead. I doubt your readers will blame you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought about that when I was reading some of the repetitive parts of the gospels, but I'm glad I didn't. Some of it was boring, but it was interesting to go through it all anyway. Also, how would I know what I can safely skip and what I should get back to. I've never been very good at skimming :)

    Also, in preparation for an upcoming move, I've been doing 2 a day for a while now, I'm actually half way through Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a guy falling asleep at one of the long sermons. As SAB said "he was bored to death."

    In verse 19, I don't really care for his phrasing of "the plots of the Jews." I know I might be reading too much into those verses, but it sounds so sinister. It's also been pointed out to me, that in verse 35, it's one of the few times Paul quotes Jesus. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...