Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Romans 3

God's Righteousness Upheld


"The Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God, what if some of them were unfaithful, does that nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar"

I think this means that it is possible that some of the scribes were lacking in faith and therefore might have not done a great job of writing down the word of God. He then asks if that shows we can't trust the Bible, and then he declares that the answer is no. That sound like an acceptable interpretation of this passage?


He then asks if our unrighteousness can ultimately glorify God do we still get punished for it, then declares that yes, you will.

This makes sense to me. If you do something with bad intentions and something good comes of it I think that should still count as bad.


No One Is Righteous


Both Jews and Greeks are under the law and everyone under the law is a sinner.

This is a message I hear fairly often, that everyone is a sinner. I can't help it, I just find the idea disgusting.


The Righteousness of God Through Faith


God died for our sins and paid out debt, because we are all sinner and fallen short of the glory of God, but we are redeemed through Jesus.

This message is one that people seem to really latch on to. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense. I guess in a culture where sacrifices of livestock and such are common it might make some kind of sense, but as far as justice goes I don't think it does. If you get the death penalty no one can sit in the electric chair for you.


I know this is something Christians are going to disagree with, this idea is central to their faith. But that is part of the problem in my opinion. A central tenant of your religion is that everyone is evil, and the redemption story doesn't seem to make sense.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the people being bad thing. It's like God creates us bad to begin with, and it's somehow our fault. I think the two verses that bother me are verse 12, with in part says "there is none who does good, not even one" and verse 23, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

    I also think its disgusting myself that this omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent God couldn't do anything else to forgive the sins of Adam and Eve and had to punish everyone because of it. Then he solves this by having his "son" butchered in such a brutal way. I know that's going to offend someone, but that's the way I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, this idea that everyone is evil and no one is good is terrible. The more I think about it the more I think it is the worst part of the religion. I just think so much bad stems from it.

    Why should you even try to be good? You will fail as verse 12 tells us, also you go to heaven regardless of what you do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...