Friday, July 20, 2012

Romans 13

Submission to the Authorities


God is the ultimate authority, and no one can be in authority except by God's will. Therefore you should submit to whoever is in authority for suffer judgement.

Different people in power do opposite things, this doesn't even make sense. Also, what about when laws go against the bible? This is honestly baffling.


Fulfilling the Law Through Love


The rule "love your neighbor" encompasses all of the other commandments, so that is all you really need to do.

This seems to be basically saying that the golden rule is the most important thing. Care about each other and all of the other good stuff should follow. This idea is great. I don't really have much else to say here, good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Subjugation. This definitely sounds like something someone in control would want people to believe. I've brought this verse up a few times to anti-Obama Christians a few times and never really get a straight answer. I just get a lot of "you are taking it out of context" then the subject magically gets changed.

    I really like the passage about how to treat others, including non believers like myself, but it's not a real consistent
    message in the Bible. Just two examples there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people have accused you of taking things out of context have you ever asked them what the real context is? When I have done this (online) they usually change the subject or stop responding completely.

      I think when people say something is out of context they usually have no idea what the context of the verse is, they really just assume I am taking it out of context because it doesn't mesh with their preconceived notions.

      Delete
    2. I have tried before, but I have gotten more or less the same results unfortunately. Christians are often guilty of this as well. Anytime I see someone referring to prophecy as "proof," ignoring how most were written afterwards in the NT, most are taken out of context when you look at where they are taken from. I think I touched on some of those previously when we read the gospels. Another example is the "honor thy father and mother" commandment from exodus. If you look in Deuteronomy, Christians tend to forget that if you can't control your kid, you are supposed to stone him to death. Thankfully, this isn't something that is used much.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...