Friday, July 13, 2012

State of the Blog

Hello everyone. We have successfully driven across the country and our new apartment is set up enough that I am ready to start blogging again. During the drive I had a lot of time to think and have thought of a few minor changes I want to make to the blog and figured I'd let you all know what I am thinking.

First, the bible verses will largely stay the way I have been doing it, 1 chapter each weekday, summarize the verse then add my comments. I had an idea that I wanted to add to it, which is to try to add what my thoughts would have been on the verse when I was a Christian, "putting on my Christian hat". I'm not completely sure how it will go, but I like the idea and will try it out for a little while. The biggest problem I can foresee is that I will potentially be making a Christian straw man. The only thing I can think to defend against this is to make it clear that I am not saying this is what all Christians would say, just what I would have said when I was a Christian.

For Saturday and Sunday I will pretty much just do what I have been doing, that being whatever random topics I feel like talking about. Usually this will probably be topics that have come up in the previous week in comments on either my blog or someone else's. 

I also really like the idea of doing a "this week in congress" post each week. I briefly mentioned something like this here, and the more I have thought about it the more I like the idea.

A few people have asked me if I am thinking of going through another book like I did for "The Problem of Pain" and for "Is God Just a Human Invention". I might do that at some time in the future, but not for at least a while. I would want to find a book that seems thought provoking or at least have a group of people ready to have interesting discussions on the topics in the book. 

I'm going to get back to my regular schedule starting monday, hope to see you then.
 

2 comments:

  1. The Christian perspective sounds interesting, but you may have trouble accurately recalling a view that you no longer hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, I actually considered that fact. I was originally going to call it something like "the christian perspective" or "the christian view" or something. But I decided that sounds like I have a Christian sitting next to me putting in their 2 cents which is incorrect. I figured if I call it "putting on my christian hat" or perhaps "playing christian's advocate" or something it will be clear that it is just me doing my best. I'm hoping it will go well, but as with all experiments, it could just blow up in my face. We will see :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...