Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ephesians 5

Walk in Love (v. 1-21)

This section seems to boil down to a big list of things to do and not do. I had trouble boiling them down like I usually try to do, so I'm pretty much just going to hit them one at a time here.

v. 1-2: Try to imitate God, he was so loving he was willing to sacrifice himself for them.

This is good, care about other people and try to imitate the best things about Jesus. The people who often get labeled as "good Christians" often follow this kind of advice. Taken too far these people can be easily taken advantage of, but apart from that this is good stuff.

v. 3: You should not be sexually immoral, impure, or covetous. Don't do anything that would not be proper for a saint.

Depending on what you mean by sexually immoral and impure, this might be decent advice, but the way that this kind of stuff seems to be taken by my religious people it goes way too far. People are basically afraid of sex, and that is a shame. Sleeping around can have plenty of bad consequences, apart from diseases and unwanted children, it can just be bad for you emotionally, but a healthy sex life is a good thing.

v. 4: Don't be filthy, nor engage in foolish talk or crude joking.

I don't understand this, is bad language really that big of a deal? I absolutely love dirty jokes and crude humor. It doesn't hurt anybody, what is the problem?

v. 5: Anyone who is sexually immoral, impure, or an idolater has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Now this is interesting, if you do those things you don't get into heaven. But I thought the only thing that mattered was faith. So if I am sexually immoral but I also have faith do I get into heaven? This verse seems to say no.

v. 6-10 Don't let those with empty words deceive you. Do not become partners with the sons of disobedience, walk in the light not the darkness. Try to discern what is pleasing to the lord.

Good things are light, bad things dark, got it.

v. 11-14 Don't take part in the works of darkness but instead expose them. It is shameful to even speak of what they do in secret, expose it to the light.

If you can't even speak of it how the hell are you supposed to expose it? If it is so shameful that speaking of it is bad I assume we aren't supposed to be exposing the actual act to literal light.

v. 15-16 Walk like the wise, make the best use of time because the days are evil.

What does that mean? I'm just confused here.

v. 18-20 Do not get drunk with wine, that is debauchery, instead give thanks for everything and sing song and hymns and psalms.

First of all, how is singing a replacement for drinking? Seems to me that the two go hand in hand. Second, didn't Jesus turn water to wine? I think that should be a ringing endorsement that drinking is a fine thing to do.

Wives and Husbands (v. 22-33)

Wives submit to your husband as to the lord. The husband is the head of the wive as Jesus is the head of the church. Husbands love your wives as Jesus loves the church. If you love your wife you love yourself for the two of you are one.

I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone, but this came from a male dominated society. This is obviously terrible. The man is supposed to love the woman and she is supposed to submit to him? Just terrible. Some might argue that given the surrounding society, this was progress, this was better than women of the time would often get so it should be seen as progressive. Let's assume that is true, does it follow that we should use this book for our morality today? Hell no!



For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation) 

Good:


5:1-2 Imitate the best things about Jesus

Bad:

5:3,5 encourages fear and repression of sex

5:4 no dirty jokes

5:18 no wine

5:22-23 misogynist garbage

2 comments:

  1. In responce to v5, the reply I usually get is that if you truly have faith, you wouldn't be being sexually immoral. So basically, what I have been told is that even though all people are sinners, if you truly have faith, you wouldn't be sinning. Makes no sense to me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have heard those kind of roundabout explanations as well. Problem is, this doesn't seem to be reflected in reality one bit. I suppose if you brought out examples of Christians who are sexually immoral you would just get the 'no true christian' response. "Those catholic priests just didn't have enough faith"

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...