Thursday, September 20, 2012

Philippians Overview


As I have explained in the past, one of the reasons I am doing this blog is I am curious to see what kind of messages one might get from reading the bible. What might one learn as a take-away. Here is my quick summary of the good and bad from Philippians.

(note: the chapter link takes you to my page on that chapter, the verse link takes you to the verse on biblestudytools.com)

Good:

1:9 Encourage good things for other people

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment,"

1:24-25 Put other's needs above your own

"But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith"

2:4 Be concerned with other people, not just yourself

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."


3:12 I'm not perfect, but I'm always striving for perfection

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own."


4:8 Focus on good things

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things"

4:11 Be content in the good times and the bad

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."



Bad:

1:18 The bottom line is all that matters

"What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice,"


1:23 Death is better than life, I wish I was dead

"I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better."

1:24-25 Wishful thinking

"But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith"


2:8 Obedience is the most important thing

"And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

2:12-13 Our fear and trembling is God's pleasure

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure"

2:14-15 Ignorance is glorified

"Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world"

3:8 Everything other than Christ is worthless 

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ"


3:9 Faith is a virtue [thanks ReasonBeing]

"and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith"


3:18-19 People who are not like us are evil

"For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things."

4:13 Give credit to overcoming struggles to God

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me"

2 comments:

  1. So 6 good things and 10 bad things. In all honesty that is not too bad. How does it stack up with other books you have finished so far on that score?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good question, I haven't looked at that in a while, let's find out.

      Ephesians: 6 good, 7 bad

      Galatians: 3 good, 5 bad

      2 Corinthians: 5 good, 6 bad

      1 Corinthians: 3 good, 5 bad

      Romans: 8 good, 7 bad

      Acts: 3 good, 9 bad

      John: 4 good, 5 bad

      Luke: 13 good, 19 bad

      Mark: 4 good, 5 bad

      Matthew: 15 good, 11 bad

      So pretty much in the realm of 50/50. Of course while this number is an interesting metric, it is a rough one. It's interesting to look back at what the various things are, the easiest way to do that is with the overview tag.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...