Monday, September 17, 2012

Philippians 2

Christ's Example of Humility (v. 1-11)

You should not be selfish or self-centered. Be concerned with other people's issues as well as your own.

That is good stuff. If only everyone would follow that instruction.

Another thought was that I'm not so sure that Jesus was that humble all told. There were certainly times when he was humble, like when he washed his disciples feet (although he was proving a point at the time). But there were also times when he let Mary use expensive ointment to anoint him. I haven't really thought about this much, but when I think back to the stories about Jesus, humble is not the word that comes to mind. Thoughts?

Jesus humbled himself by being born in the likeness of men.

Wasn't man created in God's image? How is Jesus humbling himself by taking the form of man which is made in the image of God? I think the only way this makes sense is if his quality has gone down like when you make a copy of a copy.

Jesus humbled himself by being obedient to the point of death. You should follow this example.

I think it is interesting that he is focusing on obedience here. There are certainly things worth dying for, but obedience? Is obedience something that is so important that people should obey even if it causes their death? sounds like something a tyrant would want. This of course reminds me of the binding of Isaac, but perhaps that is just because I watched non stamp collector's new video today.

Lights in the World (v. 12-18)

You have always been obedient, so if I am gone you should work out your own salvation with trembling and fear, God works in you for his good pleasure.

Well that is terrible. Keep being obedient even if I am gone, just focus on that trembling and fear and you will be fine. Also, what is the deal with our fear being God's pleasure?

Don't question things, you should be innocent and blameless so that I [Paul] won't feel I wasted my time.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Timothy and Epaphroditus (v. 19-30)

Paul is going to send Timothy to see the philippians because he is the only one who will be genuinely concerned for their welfare for everyone else seeks their own interest. He will also send Epaphroditus, a fellow minister and soldier.

Putting those 2 things together, is Epaphroditus going to be self-interested. If I was a Philippian, I might say "why don't you just go ahead and only send Timothy then."

For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation) 

Good:

2:4 Be concerned with other people, not just yourself

Bad:

2:8 Obedience is the most important thing

2:12-13 Our fear and trembling is God's pleasure

2:14-15 Ignorance is glorified


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...