Monday, September 3, 2012

Galatians 6

Bear One Another's Burdens

Help anyone who is in need. If someone helps you be grateful or you might have to do things by yourself in the future.

There is a bit of interpretation here on the first 5 verses, but I really think this is what it is trying to say. Help each other out, if the tables are turned and people help you out, don't be a dick about it or you might find yourself without help in the future. This is the kind of thing that Christians will often point to as examples of what the bible is all about and what religion should be all about. Sounds good to me.

v6 "One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches."

This I don't like so much. He is commanding them to give resources to the church (or those teaching the word). Given that he is the one who is teaching them, this is quite self serving.

Final Warning and Benediction

Circumcision doesn't matter, those who say it does are just trying to get you on their side so they can boast about your flesh.

Again with the circumcision. 




For the overview post (If you think I should add or remove stuff from this list please let me know, I think it would make good conversation) 

Good:

6:1-2 help each other out

2 comments:

  1. Verse 6 does sound really self serving.. "Oh and by the way, give me money."

    If it came down to the choice of being persecuted or having part of my penis chopped off, I think I'd have to think about how bad the persecution is.

    All the talk of people getting circumcisions gives me this twisted mental image of people "showing off" their new "body mods" the same way someone with a new tattoo or piercing does. "Hey look what I got done!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clearly read too much sci-fi. When you said "showing off their new body mods" my mind went right to a transhumanist future where people have bionic implants and stuff. I jumped right past tattoos and piercings :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...